Thursday, January 8, 2015

1.8.15 Flowers in Winter

Winter is not my favorite season.  It's cold, it's dark and it makes me kind of grumpy.  But these two pieces of jewelry - a mix of dark oxidized silver and warmer metals (gold and brass) have become go to items when I'm feeling gloomy.

I rarely buy jewelry in sets or choose pieces designed to go together.  I much prefer to mix and match items that I find to be complementary.  I found this necklace and pair of earrings at different times, in different places - but I think they are perfect together.

For several years I had wandered past the Scattered Light booth at the Armadillo Christmas Bazaar and admired their botanical pendants.  Then I saw this bluebell, which rather than being like most of their pieces made of polished gold or silver, was fashioned from mixed metals.  It was different, and I liked that - plus it was handmade, local (well, then it was - the shop has since moved from Smithville to Round Top - but it's still Texas), and something I knew I would wear a lot. So I plunked down my credit card and took it home with me.


A couple of years ago I spotted this pair of Jamie Joseph "Dahlia" earrings in another wonderful Austin shop, Eliza Page, and immediately thought "wow, I have to have those" to go with the bluebell pendant. 

Lucky me - my husband works right across the street from Eliza Page, so one day when I met him for lunch I mentioned the earrings, and he said "let's go get them".  We did, and I wear these two pieces together often, especially when I need a reminder that winter in Texas really is only temporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment