Monday, January 26, 2015

1.26.15 The $20 necklace that goes with everything

You know that piece of jewelry you bought on a whim, because it was really inexpensive and you thought "if I wear it even a few times I'll have gotten my money's worth" - well, put a check mark next to this string of glass beads on waxed cotton cord for me.

I bought this necklace close to 20 years ago, at a nifty little shop (now long gone) on South Congress Avenue.  It was called Simply Divine, and they had great all cotton, bright colored clothes for moms and kids.  Their adult dresses in particular, were affordable and awesome - you could add a necklace or a scarf, and some cute sandals and be set to go just about anywhere in the summer Texas heat.

I no longer have the clothing I bought from them - it was either outgrown (kids) or worn out (mine), but this necklace has stayed in my regular jewelry rotation.  It's just one of those "goes with everything" pieces.

Today, I was sporting it (as an accessory to my mom uniform) along with a pair of earrings more in the center of the price spectrum.  These are from Ippolita's "Rock Candy" collection - they are very comfortable and super fun to wear.  I got them last December (they were my anniversary present) at Russell Korman Jewelers during their Ippolita trunk show.

As I've said before, I'm really partial to rectangular shapes and emerald cuts, and I'd been eyeing several pieces in this line for a while, but hesitating because the pieces were all set in gold.  The Ippolita sales representative had brought extra pieces for the trunk show, and this great pair in dark blue and sterling silver had my name all over them. 

I asked the rep about the stones - and she told me that it is one of their crystal and mother of pearl doublets (with a colored layer in between - which gives them a richness my camera doesn't fully capture) - and that the color is "indigo".  I almost think it should have been "denim" because you can dress them up or down, and like my $20 necklace, they go with everything.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment