Monday, September 21, 2015

09.21.15 A rose by any other name...

Photo credit: New Yorker Magazine
I'm an android, not an iPhone, person so until I read about it recently in the New Yorker I was unaware that Apple was introducing a "Rose Gold" version...and really, the article is not so much about the shiny new phone, as the return of the copper and gold alloy itself. I love Rebecca Mead's description of the precious metal - she says "in appearance rose gold is warm and flush - what yellow gold would look like if it suddenly suffered an embarrassment."


Photo credit: Rebecca Minkoff
I do love the warmth of this metal, and was delighted to see it come back a few years ago.  Since its return I've added a number of wonderful pieces in my jewelry drawer.  Some I've written about before - like my Rebecca Minkoff watch with its rose gold face, or my lovely Tiffany hearts.

Photo credit: Elizabeth and James
I mention Tiffany, not only because of my rose gold pendant, but because in celebration of the iconic brand's 175th anniversary, they introduced a new rose colored metal called "Rubedo".  According to Tiffany, it is a "new precious metal", a secret alloy priced lower than gold, and they claim, easier to work with.  Other jewelers and materials scientists weren't sold on the "new" part, but it certainly made for some lovely pieces and an effective marketing campaign.
Photo credit: Metalicious



I really like the combination of warm rose gold and the cool, bright white of silver.  That's at least part of what drew me to these Elizabeth and James "Geodesic" earrings.  Although they are longer than most of the drop earrings I usually wear, I loved the shape of these so much, I stepped out of my comfort zone a little bit - and I'm glad I did, because I actually where them a lot.


Photo credit: Stella & Dot
Without intending to, I recently added another "geometric" piece to my collection - this time from Stephanie Maslow's Modern Rocks collection.  It will come as no surprise to regular readers that I was drawn to her "Emerald Facet" necklace - and I chose it in rose gold.

Kind of like leopard print - I like rose gold pieces as an accent - you don't want to have too much of a good thing, so I tend to chose either a necklace, or earrings - but not both.

In the case of rose gold, I haven't just limited myself to jewelry - my summer purse (from Stella & Dot) is a lovely shiny pink, I even have a pair of rose gold Keds.

So much to do, so little time - grabbing my bag and my kicks - and off I go!

Until next time.


1 comment:

  1. Drooling over those Keds! I have rose gold Doc Martens and they are my FAVE!! Thank you for featuring my necklace. :-)

    ReplyDelete