Tuesday, April 21, 2015

4.21.15 Elsa (no, not from Frozen)

Photo credit: Tiffany & Co.
Elsa Peretti - designer of iconic pieces for Tiffany.

I have always loved her open heart pendant.  I have one in yellow gold that dates to my years in high school, but I can't remember the last time I wore it.  It's tiny and I wore it so much when I was younger, it's kind of scratched and dinged up.  Sometime in the last decade, they introduced it in rose gold, and when I saw it paired with the larger silver one, I though - "ah, that's what I want".

The open heart is an instantly recognizable Tiffany piece, and it's also incredibly popular.  I have several friends who have one in their jewelry collection, and while it might bother me to see some other pendant coming and going, that's not the case with this one.

I've said before that fine jewelry is an investment, and before you or I or anyone else plunks down a chunk of change, it's worth asking "is this something that I will wear often, and for a long time?"  If the answer is yes, then I say go for it, or save for it.  Even when I'm smitten with a piece of jewelry, I try not to make impulse purchases.
 
Photo credit: Nordstrom
I didn't make a specific trip to Tiffany after the store opened in Austin, but I was in the same shopping center one day, so I walked in, made my purchase. I'm glad I did. As I said, I'd had the smaller yellow gold one since high school, so I knew I would I wear it a lot (and I do)

I have several pairs of earrings that work well with the necklace; before I started writing the blog, and making an effort to think about the jewelry I put on, I would have probably just worn my trusty Coach hoops - which surely would have been in the small tray on my dresser where I put them when I took them off the night before.  Today, however, I thought about and chose this pair of silver teardrop earrings instead.

This pair, while very reminiscent of the Tiffany teardrops, also designed by Peretti, is at the other end of the price spectrum, which is probably why I hadn't thought about them very much.  They were just another pair of earrings I picked up on sale at Nordstrom, where they are still available.  That's good - because the Peretti teardrops are not.

Photo credit: Tiffany & Co.
Even when I love a designer, I'm not usually a fan of a whole collection - but for the past couple of years I've been pining for (at least one piece of) Cat Island, introduced in the summer of 2013.  Inspired by an island in the Bahamas, these pieces evoke warm sun, blue waters and total relaxation (yes, I could use a vacation, thanks for asking).

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Ms. Peretti should take a deep bow.  The clean, fluid lines of her Tiffany designs are emulated everywhere, proving once again, that there is nothing better than a classic.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment