Thursday, February 5, 2015

2.5.15 Cold hands. Warm heart.

Sigh, the last few days have been cold and dreary, I am reminded that it is still winter.  It doesn't make me happy - not at all - but new jewelry does.

Photo credit: Coach
I first spotted this pendant a couple of months ago when Coach  posted it on the web in their new December items.  When my daughter was home over winter break she and I went on a shopping trip, and I took a closer look in the Coach store.  I liked it, a lot, but I'd also just bought holiday gifts and December birthday presents - so I decided I didn't need it that day.  Then I got a "preferred customer" code in the mail, and figured THAT was a sign from the universe that I should give in and move it from my wishlist to my shopping cart. 

It appealed to me, of course, because it's a heart - but for several other reasons as well.  The weight, the pendant is solid brass with a warm glow; it  feels good when you hold it or wear it, and it reminded me of this pair of earrings that belonged to my mom.

The earrings are from Robert Lee Morris, a jewelry designer who first made his mark in the 1970s.  I suspect my mom bought them in the late 70s or early 80s, and probably at Neiman-Marcus, which carried the line.

Hearts can certainly be overdone - but when they are done well, without frills or unnecessary embellishment, they are as much a classic design as hoops, or Greek boats.  That RLM is still selling a similar pair of earrings nearly 40 years later is evidence of that staying power.
Photo credit: Robert Lee Morris


Until next time, stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment