Monday, February 23, 2015

2.23.15 Heartfelt

My daughter was home for a few days last week.  It was great to have here here, but once again she's gone back to college.  It's okay - but the house is really quiet - just me and the dog (thank goodness for his snoring, right? It does break the silence).

Being a mom is the hardest, best job I could ever hope to have. It was made even more difficult when my own mother died, because my children were still young - and I knew I hadn't asked all my questions, or gotten all the advice I was going to need.   Fortunately, I won the mother-in-law jackpot.  She and I both knew she could never replace my mom, and she never tried.  But she has been there for me in so many ways and filled a huge void in my life.  She is, in every sense of the word, a gem.

One Mother's Day, a year or two after my mom died, my mother-in-law bought me this birthstone heart - and it is one of my most treasured possessions.  I went through a period where it was the only necklace I wore, and even now, I wear it often.  A mix of silver and gold, with an alexandrite - for my oldest, with a June birthday, and two blue zircons - for my December born middle son and daughter.  I love everything about this pendant - the mix of silver and gold, the delicately scalloped edges, and that it represents my mother-in-law's love for me, and mine for my kiddos.

I have several pairs of mixed metal earrings that I like to wear with this pendant, but my current faves are this silver pair from Yvonne Raley, at Cecile Raley Designs.

Her jewelry caught my eye a while ago, and I had purchased a couple of things from her already before she had an earring sale last summer.

Photo credit: Cecile Raley Designs
I saw these kite shaped blue zircon dangles and knew I had to have them.  The delicate design and millgrain edging are a beautiful complement to the detailing on the heart pendant.

As I've said before, I don't look for pieces that necessarily match - but I am always pleased when I find a new item that works well with something that I already have, and enjoy wearing.

This heart really does "go with everything" so any day I'm feeling the need for a little extra love, I put it on before heading out to face the world.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment