Friday, February 16, 2018

02.19.18 Girl Power

 When I took Marlene Richey's jewelry business class last year, one of the things she recommended was becoming a member of the local chapter of the Women's Jewelry Association. Recently I did just that - and attended my first meeting. It was wonderful not only to get to know the women behind so many of the brands and stores I have shopped for years, but to be in a room full of smart, creative, empowered women.

That's what WJA does - it brings together women in the jewelry industry (which, like so many things, has been traditionally male dominated) and provides opportunities for networking, mentoring, business development and training.

The Austin chapter is relatively new - and I'm excited to be a part of it.

It was fun to visit with Sara Dominguez and Elizabeth Gibson of Eliza Page - where I have shopped for years - most recently for this sweet Hamsa ring that was one of my daughter's Hanukkah gifts.

Photo credit:
Jodi Rae Designs
I also met Leigh Navarro, whose line, Leighelena I first purchased years ago at Blue Genie, and Jodi Rae Brownstein' whose bright colored druzies and bold stones have always caught my eye!

I met some new folks, too...

Me, Jodi and Amanda
Amanda Deer, whose East Austin studio is home to both her store front and work space. Not too long ago, I stopped by her charming shop. Her jewelry is fun and delicate - and I see her pieces in my daughter's future!

Haley LeBeuf, whose architectural jewelry has found it's way into my heart and on to my ears - because as I've said so many times before - there are NEVER too many earrings.

Haley was wearing these included crystal drops from her new "Violet Crown" line at the WJA event - and I have since added a pair to my own collection.

Photo credit: Haley LeBeuf
A couple of weekends after the meeting, Jodi held a "Tiny Tucson in Austin" gem sale. I went and had a wonderful time!  I bought some beautiful cabochons, pearls for the birthstone series I am doing with my wind chime earrings, and got to visit with other Austin jewelers.










In addition to all the pretties for sale - Jodi had an amazing cake - which was as delicious as it was beautiful.


So far, 2018 is off to a really good start - and I look forward to sharing more of my jewelry adventures with you!

Until next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment