Monday, February 5, 2018

02.04.18 Bird Watching

Gentle readers - I know some of you like winter, but at this point, I'm just hunkered down and waiting for spring.

Over the holidays we spent some quality time with our kiddos at my mother in law's house.  Because we are in Texas, she has birds in her yard all year long - and it was on a previous visit to her house that I was inspired to put a hummingbird on the back of one of my pieces.

No sooner did I post a photo of this chrysocolla pendant than I had a message from someone asking if it was already sold (it was not).

So...I started thinking more about birds.

When I was visiting my college roommate this past summer, we spent several wonderful hours sitting out her lovely deck watching all varieties of feathered friends came to dine at her well stocked bird feeders.

There is a pair of cardinals who make their home in one of her big trees and they appeared every evening, almost like clockwork, for their evening meal.

Thinking about this pair - and the folklore that surrounds cardinals (some people say when one visits, it is the spirit of a loved one who has passed) - I decided that it would be perfect for the back of this wonderful piece of vintage red glass.  I named it "The Visitor" - and it is available in my Etsy shop.

I did another hummingbird pendant, this one a labradorite - and again - it got snapped up as soon as I posted a photo of the piece in progress.

Then there's the "Happy Bird Day" pendant.  When I first posted a photo of this fabulous rainbow fluorite, a friend of mine went crazy over it...she wrote "LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this shape and stone"...and I thought, well - I know what she's getting for her birthday!  I especially like the way a shadow of the cut out is visible through the translucent stone.



My most recent bird may be my favorite.  It's a speckled hen. As soon as this dendritic opal arrived, all I could see were black and white feathers and I knew that I had to put a chicken on the back.

I realize that chickens don't fly - so they aren't like the other birds in this group - but it's my blog so I can put it in here if I want to.


Even though most people don't see them, the backs really are my favorite part of my pendants and cutting them out is the part of the process I enjoy the most.

If you have a favorite bird, let me know - I'd love to tell your story.

Until next time.





4 comments:

  1. Lovely blog post, Deb. I love birds because, wow, they can fly! oh wait, what about all those flightless birds, mostly extinct.

    Maybe you could come up with some flightless bird for me.
    Ostrich or emu probably suits me best : )

    But I also love for birds who can fly. One of my favorites is the Snowy Owl.

    Hmm, do you make earrings. I'm thinking one earring with ostrich or emu and one with snowy owl. But I'd want the birds to be up front, not behind and hidden.

    Can you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet! I am sure I could do an ostrich, emu or owl on a pendant for you - and I do make earrings, so let me give some thought to how I might do that. I'll think about ideas and send you a message :-)

      Delete
    2. Great, thanks! I'll look forward to hearing what you think would work best.

      Delete
  2. I can't find your email - so I sent you a message on FB about design ideas :-)

    ReplyDelete