Monday, April 17, 2017

04.17.17 What's My Line?

Photo credit: Wikipedia
In the 1950s and 60, the game show What's My Line ran on CBS television.  It featured celebrity panelists trying to guess the line (of work) of a guest.

If I learned anything (and actually, I learned a lot) in my Creative Side class with jewelry business expert Marlene Richey, it was that no one should have to guess what your jewelry is about - everything you say and do to market your work should be as clear to the buyer as it is to you.

Photo credit: Creative Side

I've been in business for myself for a long time - nearly 20 years - as a policy consultant...and there are some things about running your own shop that are the same no matter what you are selling. However, there is a big difference between selling a service, and producing, branding, marketing and selling stuff.

...and when that stuff is a luxury item (jewelry, even moderately priced jewelry is an economic luxury) it's even more important understand the process...

As Marlene said at the very beginning of class, people buy jewelry because they WANT it, and it is always a gift (even if it's a gift to yourself).

Ladybird Wildflower Love Note
What's my line is also a way to think about how pieces of your jewelry work together.  A collection of jewelry is often called a line. Some jewelers only have one line; some have several - and they may or may not mix and match.

When marketing jewelry, it's important to decide if you are going to try to create a line and go into production, or if you want to focus on a wider range of pieces and styles.  My pendants do all have a similar look and feel - but after taking the class - I realize that I might have some "lines" forming.




Currently, on my Etsy site, I have pendants classified as "Love Notes" or "Other Pendants".  I realize that "other" is probably not the best way to try to sell my work...so I'm rethinking those categories.  I like the Love Note theme, and will keep that one -  but I'm considering grouping my western and Texas themed pieces together, as well as creating an "Art for Good" section. Watch the shop for changes, and let me know what you think.

Photo credit: amazon.com


Marlene literally wrote the book on how to succeed in the jewelry business, and spent two solid days walking us through it step by step, with the benefit of her personal knowledge and wonderful stories. By the end of her class, my head was spinning with new ways to think about approaching my continuing journey.  As always, I'm glad to have you - my blog readers - along for the ride.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment