Monday, February 24, 2020

02.24.20 Blue Wave

Postcards: January 2017
If you are a regular reader of this blog, or follow my social media, it will come as no surprise that I have not been happy about the state of political affairs in our country for several years...

I started writing postcards to members of Congress just days after this administration took office, then Resistbot came along, and I began sending regular electronic missives to Washington...and those fell on deaf ears.

I am now back to writing postcards, but this time it is not to elected officials, but to voters (who will hopefully send new people to statehouses and Washington in November).


Through a grassroots organization called Postcards to Voters, I've been writing cards to voters all across the country encouraging them to sign up to vote by mail, and participate in special elections for Democrats running in key races.  It feels much more productive than writing to Washington - where at best I get nothing in response, and at worst I get horrible form letters with canned language that isn't really related to my original message at all.


Stone Maven Designs on Etsy
At first I was printing the cards myself, from templates on the PTV website, but as I started following the organization and other writers on social media, I discovered makers who were creating cards especially for the effort!  I thought what could be better than supporting fellow artists - so I bought postcards from sellers on Etsy!

The first set I bought came from Stone Maven Designs, featuring great drawings of blue waves...and suddenly I was inspired to create some blue waves myself - in jewelry (of course).




I had already ordered a beautiful larimar cabochon and it seemed like the perfect choice for a wave on the back!

Just FYI - I'm keeping this one.

Then, I started thinking about how I could create a relatively affordable "Blue Wave" piece, so that I could donate a portion of the proceeds to progressive candidates and organizations.


I had some success with this concept during the 2018 election cycle when I created and sold several "Blue for Beto" pendants.

I ordered some pieces of vintage blue glass (which is a lot less expensive than larimar, lapis, kyanite or any other blue stone I can think of) and made a prototype.

These pendants are available, starting at $125 with a glass cabochon - more for a stone -  and with each sale, I will make a $25 donation to the (state or local) Democratic candidate or cause of the buyers choice.

The pendants can be customized in a few ways...

I can put a wave or a state cut out on the back;

the buyer can choose their bezel wire (straight, serrated or scalloped);

Shop on Etsy
I can make the pendant with our without an outer twisted wire ring or patina;

and of course, I can make them with a stone cabochon (price to be determined at the time the pendant is commissioned).

So...if you'd like to support the Blue Wave, click the "Shop on Etsy" link below the photo, hit me up with a comment here or DM me on Instagram.




If you want write postcards and support other makers, follow the links above to Postcards to Voters, and get your cards from Stone Maven Designs, Creative Dem or Mary Likes Postcards - all on Etsy.

Mary Likes Postcards on Etsy





Democracy doesn't just happen - it takes engagement from every one of us.  

Make sure you are registered to vote



Become informed about the candidates running for office at every level of government, and then go participate.

As Abraham Lincoln said in the Gettysburg Address (at a previous time when we were a very divided country), we are a nation "of the people, by the people, and for the people" - but only if the people participate.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment