Monday, February 10, 2020

02.10.20 Color of the Year

Photo credit: Pantone
I've always noticed - and even been amused - when Pantone announces their "Color of the Year", but this is the first time the selection provided any real inspiration for my jewelry.

I looked at the Classic Blue and thought...I love that color, and I actually have a lot of it in my jewelry wardrobe and my cache of cabochons...

...starting with lapis...





While trolling on eBay for (more) vintage earrings, I happened upon a pair of lapis drops just like the big turquoise ones I bought and converted to earwires...and thought - it's the color of the year - I've gotta have those!

Photo credit: Pantone

Then, I spent a little time on the Pantone site, including looking at their "complementary color guides" and dug into the stones in my collection for ideas.

In my stash was this gorgeous blue green azurite cabochon. I started there...setting it in a scalloped bezel and putting a heart on the back.  I think it looks like the earth from space, so I've named it "Love Your Mother".
Shop this pendant on Etsy



Maybe it was my subconscious, when I was creating a pendant inspired by our fragile planet, but next I decided to make a piece that provided some comfort, and maybe even a sense of protection for the wearer.

Shop this pendant on Etsy






I chose a piece of faceted lapis (from a lot of four that I purchased) and put a hamsa on the back.  I'm really pleased with this one, the color is beautiful and soothing.

Soldering 18K to argentium silver




Finally, for this blue series, I had an inspirational spark while watching television - and seeing Ted Muehling (a designer I love) earrings on the leads in both Blue Bloods and SVU...which got me to thinking about this lovely kyanite.  I decided to continue playing around with gold prongs on another pendant.







I definitely have a case of the blues for 2020 - in both a good and bad sense.  The state of the world is pretty overwhelming, but one of the best ways for me to manage it is in the jewelry studio, at the bench.





I imagine I will spend a lot of this year seeking to replace emotional blues with "classic" ones, set in silver and gold.


Until next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment