Tuesday, August 28, 2018

09.03.18 Shop small and thank a union member.

Photo credit: phillymag.com
Happy Labor Day everyone!

If your email inbox is anything like mine, it's been filled up - for at least the last 10 days - with announcements of "HUGE Labor Day Sales" - and while today marks the unofficial end of summer for some folks (certainly not those of us living in Texas), it is really much, much more.




The celebration of the contributions of organized labor - most notably the 40 hour work week, and the weekend - dates back to the late 19th century.  The trade and labor union movements evolved from skilled labor guilds - where groups of highly skilled workers came together to create opportunities for new, apprentice labor and to protect and enhance the quality of life for those workers.

Photo credit: YouTube
When I was growing up, I remember hearing the jingle "look for the union label" for International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union, and so I did - making every effort to buy clothing that was manufactured in the US. I still do - one of my favorite labels is Fresh Produce Clothing, which has "Made in the USA" on all its tags.  The clothes cost a little more than fast fashion or big box brands, but since I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it - I want to support US based manufacturing.


I do the same thing when sourcing my jewelry making supplies. Virtually all of tools and materials come from American sources, starting with Rio Grande, my go to for just about anything you can think of, and the small, independent lapidary artists from whom I buy my stones.

My "Visitor" pendant - recently on the Rio homepage
I'm certainly not opposed to spending this holiday shopping, either out and about or online (especially if it's as hot where you are as it is here), but when you do - please consider making your purchases at small, woman owned, American made businesses.




Here are a few of my favorites:

Austin/Texas
- Eliza Page
- Jodi Rae Designs
- Haley LeBeuf
- Metalsgirl
- Leigh Elena
- Lea Smith Designs
- Armenta
- Vicki Hallmark

Online
- Jewelry by Cari
- Peggy Li
- Metalicious
- Dune Jewelry

Until next time - when I'll be back with updates on what I've been up to over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment