Monday, March 6, 2017

03.06.17 The trouble with turquoise...

...is I really want to keep all of it!

It is truly one of my favorite stones - and the more I work with it, the more finished pieces I want to hang on to!

The copper rich stone was first called "turquoise" by the French in the 17th century, because it was first brought to Europe from Turkey.

Turquoise is mined all over the world, and has been used in jewelry making since ancient times. It one of three blue December birthstones.

The first piece I made in argentium, used a piece of green turquoise.  I didn't need any more stones, but there it was in the tray, and I picked it up and couldn't put it down...and so it began...

After I joined the Cabs and Slabs group on Facebook, a whole new world of possibilities opened up.  I had no idea how many varieties of turquoise existed...but I've learned a lot!  The lapidary folks are fabulous - and I'm so glad to be part of their group. I've bought some beautiful stones - and often, the seller will include a "bonus" - an irregular or smaller stone, along with the piece I have purchased.

I put one of those bonus stones to good use in my wax class - and still others have became earrings (all sold) or rings (which are also posted in the shop).














Currently, I've become very enamored of  "boulder" or "ribbon" turquoise.  When a lapidary artist gets a piece of rough that has turquoise running through the surrounding rock, they can cut it to feature the veins of blue.  I fell in love with this big heart online, and was not disappointed when it arrived. I'm really happy with the pendant, and especially pleased with the cut out on the back...and because every piece of jewelry tells a story, they all get a name...this one is "West Texas Waltz".

Even with the best organizing system possible - I don't have the room (or budget) to keep every piece I make - so like my children, I have to send them off into the world.  So watch this space, my shop and my Instagram feed - for lots more turquoise!

Until next time.

PS - I write my posts at least a couple of weeks in advance - and since writing this one, I was able to end my Nordstrom boycott - and the first thing I bought was this watch I'd been coveting...because TURQUOISE!







No comments:

Post a Comment