Monday, January 16, 2017

01.16.17 Serendipkitty

Some days you go into the studio and the magic just HAPPENS!

That was the case right before the end of last year when the lovely folks at Creative Side had a studio "playdate" and holiday party.  The invitation was to spend an afternoon at the bench with the staff and other members (renters) creating, visiting and having treats.  It was a truly special day.

I had just finished my last holiday commission - and I didn't have anything in progress. That wasn't going to stop me from attending - I figured I'd make it up as I went along.

I pulled out my stones and started looking through them, and decided I to use one of the surfite cabochons I'd ordered a few months before.
Surfite (striped) and glass cabs

What is surfite, you ask? It's reclaimed surfboard resin, which is cut into cabochons, very much like Fordite (which I've written about before).  I'd been eyeing pieces for a while, and I finally bought some. The photo really doesn't do the bright colors justice - but they are terrific.

Often, but not always, I decide what I am going to put on the back of a pendant before I start working...but because I went into the studio without an idea, I fiddled around with a few designs before I decided...

Ultimately, a fat cat spoke to me - I pulled out my fabulous Green Lion saw and got started.  Have I mentioned how much I love this saw?  Everything I cut seems to go more quickly and smoothly since I bought it.  I'm sure practice has something to do with it - but the right tool makes a huge difference.

The cat required almost no filing, neither did this "Texas" I did for another project...but I digress...
Moving right along, I assembled the bezel and twisted wire for the setting, and lit up my torch.  The soldering and fusing gods were smiling on me, and the pieces went together almost effortlessly.  I joked with my benchmates, it must have been because I wasn't under any pressure, because the metal wasn't giving me any trouble.

...and so it went for the rest of the afternoon...eating treats, sharing good company and putting together my pendant.  It was, by far, one of the finest days I've ever had at the bench.

I was so pleased with finished piece - which I have named "Serendipkitty" because of the manner in which it came together - that I've kept it, and worn it a lot in the past few weeks.

I'm truly grateful that my husband encouraged me (last fall) to accelerate my schedule for becoming a member at Creative Side - and not wait until January.  I've been able to spend as much time as I wanted at the bench, I sold several pieces - both custom orders and from Etsy - over the holidays, and most importantly, I've deepened my connections to a wonderful community of artists.
I hope your holidays were filled with happiness, and that 2017 - despite it's inauspicious start - is full of good things for all of us.  I'm headed back to the studio to work on putting more art and beauty out in the world.

Until next time.







No comments:

Post a Comment