Monday, March 7, 2016

03.07.16 Romancing the Stone


My husband are coming up on a quarter century together. They have been very happy and fulfilling years, in large part because we really do understand each other.  He is more pragmatic than romantic, so the transition from dating to engaged happened before there was a ring. 

Photo credit:
IGI-USA
He made very clear to me that while he had every intention of buying me a diamond, he wasn't going to be the one to choose - that would have to be me.  He said something along the lines of "I want to buy you a ring to wear forever, I don't want you to look at it every day hating it - and waiting five or ten years to tell me you want something else."

I had no problem accepting that - in fact - I was pleased that he understood me well enough to say so, and trusted me not to get upset when he did. I met with diamond brokers and jewelers, priced stones, bartered a little bit - and ended up with a carat-plus G color, VVS1, emerald cut stone in a four prong Tiffany setting.  I've worn it every day for more than 23 years, and I love it.
My engagement and wedding rings

Even after all this time together, he won't go out and buy jewelry for me on his own - he tells me to pick something out, or gets help from sales staff that know me (and makes sure it can be returned or exchanged).

My good friend Amanda's husband, John, is at the other end of the spectrum. Quite the romantic, John does purchase jewelry for her, and has from the beginning.  When he planned to propose, he bought a STUNNING diamond, and had it put in a simple setting, with the idea that they could go back anytime and set the stone in the ring of her choice.  She said yes, and off they went.

As we all know - life has a way of pushing non-critical tasks to the bottom of the priority list - and that's what happened to the engagement ring.  So, almost two decades (multiple job changes, three active boys, a cross country move, and an upgraded diamond and platinum wedding band) later - Amanda's diamond was still in its original setting, and languishing in her jewelry box.

On a visit to Austin (because that move was to the Pacific Northwest), Amanda asked me if I would go with her to look at new settings for her diamond.  You know I said yes!

We went to Russell Korman, where Amanda told Brooke (a member of their fabulous sales team) what she was looking for.  She'd given a lot of thought to what she wanted in a new setting - she wanted a bezel setting (no prongs), possibly a raised mount or cathedral shape (to put the engagement stone above her wedding band) and perhaps some additional side stones or a halo.

We discussed a lot of options - plain bands with a halo, channel set bands with a halo, matching the pattern of baguettes and channel stones in her band...and had a grand time pulling settings out of trays and looking at them up against her wedding band.

Amanda's "new" ring
She kept coming back to a Ritani setting - with a halo and a double row of channel set stones.  It looked really lovely with her wedding ring.

Although she didn't make a purchase that afternoon, Amanda did leave with a good sense of what she wanted - and planned to talk it over with John.




Well, John is a good listener, because for their 19th wedding anniversary (in February) he had the stone reset for her...and I'd say he picked a winner.

Until next time.















No comments:

Post a Comment