Monday, November 30, 2015

11.30.15 Shop local: Russell Korman Jewelers

Photo credit: Russell Korman Jewelry

An added bonus of living in one place for a long time is the ability to develop relationships. When you shop at the same places and do business with the same people year after year, it just feels good.  In this world where so many transactions take place with the touch of a button, and no human contact at all, there's a lot to be said for opening a door and being greeted by people who don't just know your name, but know YOU.


Photo credit: Russell Korman Jewelry

For me, Russell Korman Jewelers is one of those places. I've been shopping with the Korman family and their amazing staff for close to 30 years. From inexpensive silver earrings to diamonds and gemstones, and everything in between, I have long thought of these folks as MY jewelers.  Chuck Schaeffer, their master jeweler, has helped me reset my mother's diamonds, and create new pieces for me, my daughter and my niece.  Dennis Warner, their master watchmaker has rebuilt vintage family watches for both me and my husband.

The benefits to shopping local are not just warm and fuzzy - the economic impact is significant.  The exact numbers vary, but doing business with a local retailer keeps somewhere between 50-80% of each dollar spent in the community - as opposed to sending it out of town or even out of state - with an online or national chain.

Starting next week, Russell Korman will be hosting a series of trunk shows featuring a variety of jewelry brands..  These shows are a great opportunity to talk to representatives of the companies and see most or all of the items in a line. No store can carry everything - and nothing compares to seeing the pieces in person, and being able to ask questions about what you are getting.

December 9 - Ippolita - this is one of my absolutely favorite jewelry lines.  Their collections featuring brightly colored stones can only be described as "happy".  At last year's trunk show I bought a pair of blue doublet mini earrings from their aptly named "Rock Candy" collection.  I can't wait to see what they bring this year.
Photo credit: Ippolita

December 10 - Marco Bicego. This is another wonderful Italian line featuring yellow and white gold and colored stones. This summer they introduced a new collection, called Lunaria, featuring aquamarine.  The warm gold and cool blue are beautiful together.
Photo credit: Marco Bicego
December 18 - Armenta.  New to Russell Korman, and to me, is Texas-based Armenta jewelry founded by Emily Armenta.  I was fascinated to read her bio on the website and learn that the genesis for her jewelry company was a class assignment while she was pursuing an MBA at Rice University.  Go the website and read about her for yourself - or better yet - do what I plan to, and stop by her trunk show to meet her in person.
Photo credit: Armenta Collection


Also in store - Jewelry by Cari. I discovered Cari's pieces at Russell Korman years ago - and I own a lot of them. Not only do I love her jewelry, but I appreciate her business savvy and generosity. When I have contacted her directly about having a piece customized she responds by saying "go buy it from them, and that way you are supporting two independent businesses at the same time". It doesn't get any better than that.

Photo credit: Cari Streeter

Located in Central Austin, at 5011 Burnet Road, the staff and jewelry reps will be there from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. - so swing on by, and tell them Deb sent you!

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment