Monday, March 2, 2015

3.2.15 Swords into plowshares, bullets into jewelry

I'm excited to be going back to the bench at Creative Side Jewelry Academy this week, to set some tiny diamonds in my lost wax pendant and repurpose some vintage items.  More about that in a future post...

I was perusing CSJA's Facebook page and saw an interesting article.  It is about a NY based jewelry company called Article22.  The name comes from Article 22 of the UN Declaration of Human rights; items in their line of "Peacebomb" jewelry are made from scrap metal found in Laos, left over from the Vietnam war.  I haven't bought anything from them yet, but I have signed up for their newsletter, and will keep watching.

Photo credit: Raven + Lily
Reading the article made me think of a boutique right here in Austin (actually right here in my neighborhood), Raven and Lily, which has a wonderful line of jewelry with a very similar concept.  R+L has a line of jewelry made by Ethiopian women from reclaimed bullet casings.

I stopped by the bright, airy store front when it opened last year, and walked out with what would be the first off many purchases - their silver tone fair trade wrap necklace.  I love everything about this piece - the social component, the feel, and because it's handmade, each one is unique.

Photo credit: Raven + Lily
Good for these folks and dangerous for me - they are right around the corner, and I haven't been able to resist going back - only to come out with numerous things, including gifts for other folks and of course, for me.

Two more things (from the Ethiopian line) that I've snagged for myself include these terrific tribal fringe earrings, and the multistrand necklace.  The earrings sway when I wear them and tinkle softly like bells. Sometimes I shake my head a little bit just to hear the sound they make.  The necklace, which looks almost like rose gold, is made from casings with a high copper content. 
Photo credit: Raven + Lily


I wore the necklace last December when my husband and I went to Gruene Hall to hear the marvelous Rosanne Cash at the end of her tour for (her 3 time Grammy winning album) The River and The Thread.  She was so gracious after the show, taking time to autograph my copy of her book Composed, and take a picture with me.  It seemed right to wear this necklace to hear her - as she is such a strong, wonderful voice for peace and social justice.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment