Friday, February 17, 2017

02.20.07 Art for Good

Photo credit: Southern Poverty Law Center twitter
I don't know about you - but it's been a month since the inauguration - and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to cope and what to do...every day seems to bring some new challenge.

I was travelling and unable to attend my local Women's March - but I still wanted to find a way to get involved. I was incredibly moved by the photos from all over the country (world!) with of seas of people wearing pink hats...then I had an idea...a pink pendant that I would sell and donate the proceeds to civil and reproductive rights organization.



I've had a pink mother of pearl heart cabochon in my collection of stones for a while.  It seemed perfect for a piece inspired by the march.

When I got back to the studio on Monday, I pulled out my trusty Green Lion saw and cut a cat out of the backplate for the pendant (a nod to those millions of crocheted pink kitty ear hats...even the Make Way for Ducklings statues in Boston's Public Garden were wearing them).









On Sunday, a couple of weeks after the march, I put the pendant up for auction on Instagram - with an explanation that all the proceeds from the sale would be donated to civil and reprodctive rights organizations.  I was delighted by the support I received - and the pendant sold for over $150 - enabling me to make contributions to Planned Parenthood, the Southern Poverty Law Center and the ACLU.

It felt really good to know that I was putting my art to work helping people...so good, that I've decided that I am going to designate some of my future sales as well.

A few items in my shop will be designated as Art for Good, and portion of the proceeds from these sales will be donated to charitable organizations.  One of the items is this hamsa pendant (available now, just click the link) which I am calling "Salaam-Shalom" (the Arabic and Hebrew words for "peace").  When it sells, I'll make a contribution to an organization helping immigrants and refugees affected by the travel ban imposed recently.


I'm grateful that I can retreat to the bench a few hours a week, and turn down the volume on all that is happening in the world...but feel that it is important to be aware of how lucky that makes me, and use my good fortune to do something to help others.

As I keep saying, now more than ever, art matters.  Go out into your community and find artists whose work speaks to you. Get to know them - and support them - in difficult times they are some of our strongest voices.

Until next time.













No comments:

Post a Comment