Monday, March 28, 2016

03.28.16 March Madness

My beloved Hoos made it all the way to the Elite 8, but sadly this was not their year to finish the dance, and they've headed back to Charlottesville.

Nonetheless, I've been watching a lot of college basketball the past couple of weeks – and in that spirit I am writing about hoops. They are one of my favorite earring styles, and as often as not, if you look at #todaysearrings on my instagram feed, it will be a pair of hoops. I have entirely too many to write about all of them in a single post, so I’m just going to share a few of my favorites.


More than any other pair, when I just don’t want to think about earrings, I reach for my Coach huggie hoops.  Chances are if you know me, you’ve seen me wear them. A gift from my mother in law many years ago, I love their shape and size; they are incredibly comfortable.

Lately this embossed wire pair from Quiet Time Jewelry has been in heavy rotation because they go so well with the chain I bought for the pendants I've been making in my metalsmithing classes.  I certainly didn't need another pair - but when I saw them, I liked them so much that I chose not to resist.


I don’t wear gold jewelry very often – but when I do, I usually reach for this pair of gold crescent hoops that belonged to my mom.  Much like my small silver ones – they were her go-to earrings, and I always get a smile on my face when I wear them.

Although most of my hoops are moderately sized – generally no bigger than an inch – when I’m in a “go big or go home” mood, I love these embellished silver hoops.  They are hollow – so they aren’t heavy – and fun to wear.  I bought them when I was still a student at the University of Virginia, from the J.  Peterman catalog – when you still had to fill out a paper order form and mail it in to them – with a check.

Photo credit: Brooklyn Museum
Hoop earrings date back to antiquity –  two gold Sumerian pairs, from the Brooklyn Museum are from 2600 BCE;  and a pair from the Metropolitan Museum are from the 1st Century AD.  Both look remarkably similar to my contemporary versions.

Photo credit: Met Museum





For now, I will put my blue and orange bow earrings (that I've been wearing to game watching parties) away, and go back to my hoops...

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment