Monday, February 1, 2021

02.01.21 Galentine's Day...the Ladysmiths of ATX Maker Magic Valentine Show


I haven't had much creative energy for a while, which is why my first post of 2021 only appeared last week.  But, I'm back at it - and making up for lost time with new content two weeks in a row.  

In my wrap up for last year, I wrote about how important the Ladysmiths of ATX have been to me in terms of staying connected to the jewelry community, since I can't be in the studio right now...and because of that, I'm going to write about them again.

Meet the Core Team, my Galentine's, with whom I'll be celebrating - our ability to adapt, build community and make space for other makers during these very uncertain times - all this week.


These women are the heart of Ladysmiths of ATX, and I'm not sure how I would have gotten through 2020 without them.  

Our weekly core team meetings and monthly Sip & Smith events (all on Zoom, of course) were some of the high points of my year.

Chelsea is part of the original core team in the shop at Canopy.  From painting the walls in the Canopy trailer to updating the website, she embodies the "we can do it" spirit of the Ladysmiths...and does it all with a smile. In her own words, her work is "inspired by symbols, people, and language, each Fragment piece is meant to instill confidence and comfort."  Her jewelry and wall hangings are exquisite in their simplicity.

Natalie is our "jewelry connoisseur" and expert in all things organizational and marketing.  She designed the "Ladysmiths" logos and did the interviews for the fabulous IG Lives during our Maker Magic Show (she'll be doing them again this week for our Valentine Show).  When she's not supporting us, she's making the world a better place as the marketing manager for a local non-profit organization.

Like me, Charity came to the core team by way of the Canopy gallery, where she was showing her jewelry (this time last year) when Covid struck.  Her work is the epitome of "one man's trash is another man's treasure". She works in a range of materials, including discarded single use plastic. She transforms unwanted containers and bags into organic, gossamer like creations. Additionally, her enthusiasm for creating a virtual market for makers in the absence of in person holiday events was a driving force behind the Maker Magic Show concept.



...and because y'all showed our featured makers so much love at the end of the year with our Maker Magic Holiday Show, we're doing it again! 

The Maker Magic Valentine Show will run all week on the Ladysmiths of ATX Instagram. There are a dozen diverse, talented, Austin based women makers (including me) in the show, and they will be sharing their beautiful work.



In addition to the community and camaraderie, being part of the Ladysmiths has pushed me to continue putting my jewelry on social media and promoting it, even though I'm out of the studio.  It's hard to get excited about being a metalsmith when I haven't been at the bench or had a tool in my hand for almost a year.

Focusing on the themes of love and friendship - and feeling especially grateful for the support of so many women during period of social distancing - I'll be posting pieces with decidedly feminine details on my feed throughout the week. 

So whether you are a maker, a shopper, or simply someone who appreciates quality craftsmanship and creativity - make sure you are following the Ladysmiths of ATX on Instagram - so you don't miss anything!

Until next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment