Monday, November 27, 2017

11.27.17 Happy Accidents (part 1)


I have so much to be thankful for - this season and all year long...

...including the good fortune to have gotten to know some wonderful lapidary artists that I can call on for custom stone orders.  Recently, I ordered a big batch of turquoise from my friends the Allens, and along with the gorgeous cabochons and earring pairs, there was a string of turquoise beads.

I started thinking about what I might be able to do with them...and it occurred to me that they would make great earrings.


I had just finished a second batch of hammered bar earrings with turquoise cabochons, and started thinking about pairing the beads with hammered silver as well.

Furthermore, when I cut the backplates for my pendants, I always end up with pieces of rectangular scrap silver that are almost always too small to use, except maybe for a really small stone or a bail.

So I thought I'd play around with those small pieces and the beads.

I started with long bars - a variation on the theme of my hammered earrings with cabochons. When I had used up all the larger scrap, I cut some small (half inch on a side) squares and decided to see how those looked...

I was surprised how much I liked the diamond shape...so I hammer textured and cut up all the scrap I had left to make a few more pairs.  They are available in the Etsy shop.

I'm so pleased with this "happy accident" design that I'm considering some other stones - because I will certainly have more scrap silver.  So watch this space - because there's sure to be more to come.














Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment